Monday, June 1, 2020

a home project

The side yard door we had since the house was built some 8 years ago had been sagging on one side and the wood panel deteriorating with age, I decided to replace it.

I ordered a metal gate online and got it in a week. Assembling was not too hard, except they sent wrong screws for some parts I had to figure out and get the right ones from a local hardware store.

Dismantling the old door was not too hard either.

But I had to get rid of those big long bolts sticking out from the concrete block columns after the old wooden posts were removed.

A little hacksaw blade could do the big job of sawing off the bolt, given time; but I didn't really need to saw it all the way down, just about one third of the way, then knocked it off with a hammer.

Now came the hard part: carving out a seam between the concrete block column and the ground for my new metal post's base to tuck in.

I made my own “improvised cutting device” after learning it from a YouTube video by attaching a disc blade to a drill gun. 

It worked for a while, giving me some headway into the hard solid block column I wanted. 

But then it kept breaking down: the rickety home-made device just not sturdy enough to stand the constant jerking and shaking my forceful cutting action created.

After some online research, a couple visits to the local hardware store, and advice from a kindly store helper, I bought this power oscillating tool, along with a diamond grit concrete cutting blade to attach to it.

That did the job, cutting a seam about 5 inches wide, 2 inches deep, at the base of the column.


So I could tuck the metal post in.


Along with the gate.


The only problem now was my opening was just about one inch too narrow for the door handle and its backstop to "kiss" and close properly. 

So I detached and reattached the backstop plate to the other cheek of the post, and now the door handle and its backstop clap flawlessly together.

Welcome to my yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment