Saturday, June 7, 2008

pray without ceasing II

How does one "pray without ceasing"? Here's another perspective:

A number of ministers were met together for the discussion of some difficult questions; one, how the command, "Pray without ceasing," could be complied with. One of the men was asked to write an essay to be read at the next meeting.

Their conversation was overheard by a maid servant. "What," she exclaimed to her master when the guests had departed, "wait a whole month for the meaning! Why, that is one of the easiest and best in the Bible."

"Well," said the minister, "and what can you say about it, Mary? When you have so many things to do, can you pray all the time?"

"Why, yes sir," said Mary, "the more things I have to do the more I can pray."

"Let me hear how you do this," said the minister.

"Well," replied the girl, "when I open my eyes in the morning I pray, 'Lord, open the yes of my understanding;' while I am dressing, I pray that I may be clothed with righteousness. When I am washing myself, I ask for the washing of regeneration. When I begin to work, I pray that I may have strength equal to the day. When I kindle the fire, I pray that God will revive my soul. When I begin to sweep out the house, I pray that my heart be cleansed of all impurities. When I am preparing the breakfast, I desire to be fed with the manna of heaven and the sincere milk of the Word. As I am busy with the children, I look to God as my Father and pray for the spirit of adoption that I may be His child, -- and so on through the day. All I do furnishes me with a thought for prayer."

"Enough," said the minister, "These things are revealed to babes and often hid from the wise and prudent. Go on, Mary, pray without ceasing."


No comments:

Post a Comment