Saturday, December 20, 2008

it might not be convenient

Talking about "Love is conviction, not convenience", here's one good piece from brother Ken some time ago:

Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 4:59 AM
Subject: Are you choosing to serve or choosing to be a servant?

My brothers, I would like to share this with you as an encouragement and a reminder to serve the Lord always!!
Paul Siaki, a missionary to regions in and around South Africa, asked that question last week during his sermon at IPC.  He had heard God's call and answered the call to go and evangelize in that part of the world.  While he is back in the states for his furlough, he visits churches and to drum up support for his mission work.

So he asked that question.  "What's the difference," I was thinking to myself.  Had I not chosen to serve already?  Then, when he elaborated on his question, it is like a wake-up call (for those of you who remember, it's the same 2x4 that's again hit me over the head #8^).  Here's what Paul showed me:
When I choose to serve, I also choose when to serve, where to serve, what to serve, who to serve with, whom to serve, and how to serve.  You see, I am IN CONTROL.  However, when I choose to be a servant, I give up this control.  I will serve whenever, wherever, whatever, however, whoever, and whomever.  Jesus is now in control when I choose to be a servant.
Rom. 6:18 said "...you became slaves of righteousness."  A slave, unlike us who worked 8 to 5 jobs, does not have his/her own time.  His/her time belongs to the master.  Likewise, Christ has set us free from the power of sin that enslaves us.  Now we are free to choose Christ, to be His servant.

I thought I have made that choice.  Paul's challenge, however, brought to light on how I have fallen short.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer's words on "cheap grace" vs. "costly grace" all of a sudden ringed in my head.  As I thought back, I realized that my service to Christ really hadn't cost me much, if any.  Now I know the reason, it is because I've always chosen to serve.  So, I served when it's convenient for me, I served only what appeals to me, I served only those whom I like, ...etc.

It all comes down to being available for God.  Often times I've made myself not available to God because I've chosen to serve instead of being a servant.  Christ had convicted me through the words of Paul Siaki, one who had chosen to be a servant.  Praise the Lord and the Holy Spirit who continue to guide us and convict us when we have gone astray!!

In Christ,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment